Monday, November 30, 2015

Organizing Units with Literature

Herz, S. & Gallo, D. From Hinton to Hamlet: building bridges between young adult literature and the classics.
Assorted Authors, Blackboard Readings and Handouts.
Probst, Response and Analysis.

Say:

I think this week is a great example of a sample being worth a thousand words. Just like with the multigenre readings from last week, there are theoretical and research-based principles at work in the rationale behind organizing units with literature; also similar to last week is the idea that seeing samples of such units immeasurably helps teachers in figuring out the landscape of literature-based units and essential questions. I liked the variety of examples--there is a big difference between the essential questions and units for English 1 and the gender focus for AP English Lit, but they both reflect the practices of using multiple genres and varieties of text to organize around key themes and topics.

This graphic organizer is a stunning visual representation of the shift in thinking about unit organization. Notice how the organizer is not centered on a text; rather, the unit is centered around a core idea/theme or set of essential questions:


The chapters from Hertz and Gallo offer spectacular information for any teacher wanting to use YA novels to help students access the themes and questions posed by some of the most difficult canonical texts. The authors tackle canonical writers like Shakespeare and Dickens and address high school "required" books like Huck Finn and The Great Gatsby. Hertz and Gallo offer thematic connections to and well-written summaries of numerous YA novels relevant for literature units. I'm glad I did my Resource Collection before doing the reading for this week, because Of Mice and Men was one of the books they used in chapter 4! Haha -- I promise, my RC is of my own invention :) Hertz and Gallo's chapter five discusses entire units of genres, text choices, etc. They even include lists for internet websites, films and possible student activities like interviews! I also ADORE the archetypal ideas listed as possible themes for units -- I use a lot of these archetypes already, but it never occurred to me to structure a unit around the concept. AWESOME. I also like the idea of taking the "author paper" out of the AP classroom I've added From Hinton to Hamlet to my amazon cart; I've got to have this book. It's incredible.



Do:
Resource Collection: Of Mice and Men

2 comments:

  1. Rosina,

    I LOVE all of the sources you found for your RC! You were so creative and used texts that I would have never had thought of. The "Name Jar" is such a cute picture book and it has a great message! It is a beautiful story of friendship. I love the movie selections you made too, they are out of the box! Thanks for posting this graphic organizer it's very helpful, I will definitely be referring to it in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your response is so positive--I loved your "landscape of literature-based units"--that's what I was hoping to provide--a window into possibilities to prod your own thinking and planning. And there is no shame in borrowing texts and ideas from others--teachers beg, borrows and steal all the time--as long as we credit where the ideas originate:) An intriguing collection of resources--love the music:)

    ReplyDelete